Every Wednesday, new comic books hit the shelves with new stories to be engrossed in, and new art to be fascinated by. This is my weekly write-up where I share what comic books I read last week, and my pull list of comics for this week.
What I read last week
- The Amazing Spider-Man #10 - Another fantastic issue from Nick Spencer. This particular issue delved deeper into the emotions of Mary Jane, how she views herself, even wondering if Pete could be happier with someone else. There were several emotional panels in this issue, and they landed excellently. I’m very pleased to see how Spencer is developing characters and adding dimension.
- Fantastic Four #4 - Loved this issue! Dan Slott is turning it around for me. After feeling a bit disappointed with the first two issues, the last two issues have been what I wanted from this book. Reed says something to Johnny almost at the end of the issue, that I hope continues to set the tone for the series.
- Man-Eaters #3 - This continues to be a fun series. We finally got some confirmation of clues left in previous issues. I didn’t quite imagine the scale of the problem though, so I’m curious to see how the story progresses.
- Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider #2 - I think I’ll be coming back to this once Spider-Geddon is over. The event isn’t all that interesting to me, and this book feels weighed down due to the tie-in.
- The Warning #1 - Bummed with this one. The description in the solicit sounded pretty interesting, but the actual issue was underwhelming. The art was all over the place. Some panels were extremely detailed, others were shockingly bad. I won’t be adding this one to my pull list.
Favorite of the week: The Amazing Spider-Man #10
Picking up this week
- Bully Wars #4 - I’ll probably end up getting only this first arc, but I’ve enjoyed the series. As I’ve said before, the art is just fantastic and the story is fun too.
- Deadpool #7 - Another Skottie Young book on my list! He’s been doing a great job with Deadpool. While the last issue wasn’t my favorite, Young overall is on a great run.
- Paper Girls Vol. 5 TP - I trade wait on Paper Girls since I was a bit late to the game on this title. Vol. 4 started to answer some questions, and I’m hoping we get more of that in this one. Feels like the story may be coming to its end soon.
- Shazam! #1 - I know nothing about Shazam. But the upcoming movie looks funny, and Geoff Johns is writing, so I’ll give it a shot.
- Star Wars: Age of Republic - Qui-Gon Jinn #1 - Really looking forward to all these Star Wars titles in the next few months. Qui-Gon Jinn was unfortunately underutilized in the prequel trilogy, so I’m excited to get more stories of him in comic book form.